11 November 2015

Painting The Butchers – Ox



Check it out – painted models!!

Yes, it's been 7 months since the last painted model showcase on the blog but finally there is fresh paint on new models… well, a single model.

After building my team at the weekend, I had given the Butchers a watery black undercoat on Sunday evening and on Monday evening I gave them a second coat of black/brown. The wife was out last night so I had the evening to myself – perfect for getting some painting done. Alas my baby son thought it was also the perfect night to grow some more teeth, so was unsettled all evening.



However, I did get some time to put a bit of flesh colour onto my captain, Ox (though the photos are a little washed out). I started with Vallejo Burnt Umber and gradually added more and more Bronze Fleshtone to the mix. It reached a point where the next step was pure Fleshtone so I added a touch of white instead, to stop it looking too cartoony (the Fleshtone is quite bright!).

I also did something I haven't done in a very, very long time… eyes!!

I still need to add a wash to blend things together a bit more, and maybe add in some darker shadows, but I'm very happy with the direction things are going.

I don't think this flesh recipe will work with Brisket so will have to try something a bit more girlie for that one. But I don't need to worry about that just yet. I want to get this model under my belt first.

Stay tuned!!

10 comments:

  1. Oh yes, he's back! Great start Mike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir. Hoping to get more done before the weekend :)

      Delete
  2. Nice to see you pick up the brushes again. That little one is most likely keeping you both quite busy this year. And this Christmas is going to be very exciting for your family.

    That's a really cool looking figure, lots of attitude and I think he's coming along nicely. You'd forgotten what a pain in the arse eyes were hadn't you :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne.

      It's been refreshing (if a little scary) painting again after so long. I'd just got back into it with the Batman models when everything went on hold. Time is so scarce these days, but you have to make time.

      I forced myself to do the eyes, even though I didn't particularly want to. Models look so much better with them painted and it's good practice for brush control.

      It will be interesting seeing the contrast between this model and the female Brisket when they're both complete.

      Delete
  3. Its a lovely model alright. There looks to be lots of details to pick out and I feel certain that you will do him justice. Obviously ,all that bare flesh will provide a wonderful target for the Masons!! Going down!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely models, as are many of the guilds. The guys have done an exceptional jobs with their sculpting.

      Delete