30 November 2015

What's Your Favourite Model?… Part 1



So it's a straightforward question, with I suspect a rather difficult answer, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Is there a model out there, in your collection or on a wish list, that just ticks all the boxes - gives you a warm tingly feeling in your stomach (or other places) every time you see it?

I have lots of favourite models – the Tenderiser is the latest addition to the list – and all for different reasons. However, there are a couple that are particular favourites that I love to bits. But the question talks about a single favourite, so I'm forced to make a decision.


My overall favourite has to be Epic Lylyth from Hordes. It's an odd choice in one sense as I don't find the Privateer Press models that appealing as a collection, compared to some other manufacturers, but now and again they do deliver a corker.

I love the pose of the model and the movement. The Lylyth character herself has a great balance of sexy and deadly, but this incarnation takes things to a new level. The fact that she is blind (in the fluff, if I remember correctly) and has her eyes covered by a visor adds a extra bit of mystery to her character (and means I don't have to paint eye…yay!). Her pose also hints at a story unfolding – she's shooting at something behind her, seemingly on the defensive. From a gaming perspective her additional height makes it easier to draw line of sight to her, but there has to be a trade-off with the dynamic pose.


I do have this model in my collection but am embarrassed to say it's not painted!
The model itself, for such a large bit of metal, is balanced on a plastic base and aside from a pin in her bow arm (no brainer given its exposed and vulnerable nature) the model went together easily. I love the detail on her armour and the shape of her cloak. Cracking model all round and one that gives me a warm tingle of admiration (and guilt at not painting mine) every time I see it.

So what's your favourite miniature?


Let me know in the comments below and I'll post a few of them in a follow up. I'm interested to see how people's opinions differ and am intrigued if it's down to the the type of wargames you play, whether you simply paint, or some other factor that may contribute to which miniatures people admire most.




18 comments:

  1. Astorath the Grim, from 40k Blood Angels.

    Where a lot of 40k models don't really convey the supposed bulk or menace of space marines, I think this model really does. It's difficult to explain why but this model just feels bigger than it really is. It certainly is helped by the wings that give a real depth and width to the figure that isn't found elsewhere, and the axe, whilst not the biggest around, is certainly pretty epic I think.

    Finally, I love the veined armour look that was first used on mephiston, and to see it in a more recent model is great.

    Whilst mine is painted, it sadly needs a lot of work as it took a nose dive off a tray I was carrying at one stage onto the concrete garage floor, so it's kinda chipped now 😿

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can see this. I liked the Vlad Dracula look of this guy.

      Delete
  2. DP9's Wildcat arena gear is one of those mini's that just seem to fit what I expect an anerna machine to look like. Enough bulk to convey the fact it is a 15 ft tall war machine, yet looks agile enough to believe it fighting in and arena in a flurry of shots and blows. Topping it off with the fact it is an arena gear, so you can equip it with just about any gear weapon and make it look amazing for ranged, melee, or a decent mix of both.

    I've wanted one for a while, but I always get sidetracked with other life duties and forget about it until I next see it. I'll probably buy one for my Heavy Gear racing team.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, now, I'm not familiar with these models – I shall have to do some research!

      Delete
  3. Tricky question! I have tons of favourites and it's usually the most recent one I have painted! I think I love Kev White's sculpts the most my favourite is most likely be between Foxtrot and Clint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You gotta love Kev White for the simplicity of his sculpts. He packs a lot of coolness into those models, I have a growing collection myself.

      Delete
  4. I like many models of the Helldorado range, so I guess my favourite is among these.
    Even though I don't play the game or have any of them painted so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes, yes. I've never bought any myself but there is a lot to love about the Helldorado range!

      Delete
  5. The GW Wood Elf Lord with the two handed sword. Not only did he look badass - making him an Alter Kindred and approprite Magic items made him play like a badass too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like him, though I prefer the Waywatcher Lord myself.

      Delete
  6. Not sure I could ever pick just one, but Ryle would be a close contender. You making paint something so far out of my comfort zone open up a world of possibilities that I hadn't even considered previously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Ryle was quite unique experience for you, though I didn't appreciate how far out of your comfort zone he was until later. If he did truly help your painting to grow that I'm over the moon!

      Delete
  7. Funny you ask this - I just posted a shot of it on my blog this weekend. It's this dragon figure here: http://warinabox.blogspot.com/2015/11/from-archive-big-red.html

    I don't know who makes it, but of all the dragon figures I've seen to date, this is the one that best encapsulates everything that screams "Dragon". Not too fat, not too long, big enough to be fearsome, but small enough to be beatable, and ferocious as all get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This model reminds me of an old Citadel Dragon I bought back in the 80's. Would love to find out where your dragon came from.

      Delete
  8. I do love the Ork Stompa. I know that it probably does not have the style features that you discuss but it was a blast to assemble and paint. I love all the bits that comes with it. I looked forward to fielding it in anger and got very, very excited. It sits on my shelf in the garage and calls to me, willing the day to come when the Waaagh can be relived.

    On the flip side, the Ork Tankbusta squigs are a great bit of fun. I love the way they are strapped up with all that Boom Boom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it would be an Ork that you'd choose, but I hadn't counted on it being the biggest of the lot, lol.

      Good choice sir!

      Delete
  9. A few my favourites, including two not yet in my collection:

    SPUTNIK (Pulp City; very personal choice)
    http://www.beastsofwar.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Sputnik.jpg

    Glacier King (Hordes)
    http://privateerpress.com/files/products/71094_GlacierKing_WEB.jpg

    Mid-Nor Cyclops (Confrontation)
    https://johnnyhawkwind.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/mid-nor-cyclops1.jpg

    Celia limited edition II (Anima Tactics)
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jg6VcmdPWkc/U5tQQXozY8I/AAAAAAAAEKY/hmHJ1o7K28Q/s1600/celia.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely some classic miniatures in there… excellent stuff :)

      Delete