01 June 2014

Guess What I Just Did!!


After two days of unpacking boxes I thought that I deserved a reward. Before I knew it I was standing in the Games Workshop in Ashford with the item above in my hand (as well as a plastic Librarian).

I haven't had more than a quick flick through the books but, since our internet is back up (and I'm waiting for the cordless drill to recharge), I thought I'd post the evidence of my weak will.

As you can see the new 40k consists of three books in a case, each book weighing in at the size of the Warmachine/Hordes rulebooks (or the original Rogue Trader rulebook if you prefer). That's a lot of paper for your £50, even if most of it is irrelevant to veteran gamers. The whole package is big and weighs quite a bit, so new gamers will feel like their getting their money's worth.

Book 1 is the shiny catalogue, 145(ish) pages full of nice model photography, a few ads but not much else (thought this would have painting tutorials in it, but no.).

Book 2 is the fluff book, 128 pages of background stories. Not had an in depth look at this, but could be a good read for campaign ideas.

Book 3 is the rulebook itself. It has 208 pages of the main rules, missions, etc. Not nearly as portable as I thought it might be, so tournament people will still need to buy the starter box in August (assuming their doing another A5 version of the rules). Haven't read this much at all so can't comment about any rules.

More to come on this no doubt…



9 comments:

  1. You are weak. I might have been tempted to get it myself except that I also lack the codexes for my armies where the value is much lower with 50-58 dollars for 100-180 page books. I think I might put the money into the Impact Miniatures kickstarter. Not that I need more Fantasy Football teams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always need more Fantasy Football teams ;)

      Delete
  2. I was disappointed with the lack of new art and fluff, and the cut and paste appendix etc. The rules seem OK as long as you have regular opponents and can come to some agreements about what to field.

    I like the three book format, I'm sure I'll be lending out the two fluff books to interested friends, which is nice to be able to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I quite like the three book format, now that it comes with a case. It does seem a lot of overkill for something that could be quite streamline. Book 1 is largely a waste of money – although the images are nice, this book will hardly be looked at after the first couple of times. Book 2 is a slow burn – read over time – or blast through it and not look at it again. I doubt most veteran gamers will take much interest in this.

      Delete
    2. one very useful point I've discovered is that the hardback codexes fit perfectly in the slipcase, so if you want to go to tournaments etc, your codexes and rulebook all fit nicely in one protective case (I'm assuming here you would take the rules, and two codexes, one for a primary and one for an allied detachment).

      Delete
  3. Also picked it up recently.. still haven't fully read through it either, but I head a lot of grumblings about Daemons and summonings.. have to look into that as my main 2 forces are Orks and Daemons! Would hate for them to become "cheesey" once more with the new edition... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll have more Orky goodness soon it seems…

      Delete
  4. Words fail me! Actually who I am trying to kid, this was always going to happen - hope the move went well though.

    ReplyDelete