16 June 2014

Imperial Fists – Yellow Test 1


So I got a few minutes this weekend to try out one of the options for painting up my new Imperial Fists army. Option 1 consists of a large can of Army Painter Daemonic Yellow, spraying directly onto the bare plastic model.

The coverage was pretty good, although the finish was a bit heavy and textured – I mustn't have given the spray can a good enough shake! I also used a ridiculous amount of spray paint for one model, very uneconomical but needed to be tested.

Once the spraying was dry I went in with the same coloured paint on a brush to touch up the gaps. Alas, the tube version of this colour was very opaque and wouldn't cover the last bits of exposed plastic. It did boost the colour of the paint already on the model.


Once this was dry (or maybe slightly before as I was excited to see results) I added some W&N Sunshine Yellow ink – watered down at first, then straight out of the bottle. Again it boosted the colour of the armour and sat in the recesses to underpin the edge of armour plates.

A rather rough looking model at the moment but I've learned a lot. I was a little disappointed if I'm honest as I was hoping this would be the ideal solution straight off the bat. I have a couple of other options to try before I choose which one to go with.

Stay tuned…




10 comments:

  1. I was quite worried when I saw the first picture - a bit green thought I! The ink has done the trick though, nicely done Sir.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the first pic is a bit washed out – it was taken late in the evening, lol.

      Delete
  2. You might find a light spray of white undercoat first then the yellow will use less in the long run and cover better. Especially when it comes to brush touch ups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. really surprised the Army painter stuff did not work out for you.

    For large numbers Army painter primers is always my weapon of choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not ready to give up on my Army Painter spray just yet ;)

      Delete
  4. Yip - yellow is tough and it starts quite green so hard to get right. You it to shine out - sunshine - tough to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not ready to give up on this just yet – I will have sunshine marines yet!

      Delete
  5. This was exactly my problem with this spray. It just is not as good as the other army painter colours. The others you don't need primer and honestly the coverage is second to none. This stuff requires several coats to not look very nice. Give it a test with white primer and see if it helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had your comments in mind as I was spraying. It was going on pretty well till I saw the texture.

      Delete