07 May 2013

Seven Models in Three Hours!

The red team, the blue team and the… err, gold team

With a day of gaming planned for last Sunday I had put together the necessary models during the week. Saturday evening we went to see Ironman 3, getting back around 9.30pm – it was at this point that I decided I didn't want to take plain grey plastic models to Bullcher's the next morning, I wanted to take painted models!!

Those of you who are regular visitors will know that I am a slow painter. A month for a single model is probably the norm, I'm also something of a perfectionist and cannot let models painted like crap leave the paint table. You see then that the prospect of painting seven models starting at 10pm was a bit mad and out of my comfort zone to say the least.

I spray undercoated them in black, finishing off with a brush. I then basecoated all the models in Burnt Umber before applying individual colours one at a time across all seven models. This was definitely 'painting according to Bullcher' as it was more about getting quick colour on there than any form of detail or accuracy. The paint went on so quickly it's not even "inside the lines" for the most part. The final touch was a quick brown wash to finish off (a gesture for my own peace of mind). The quickest painting I've ever done, since my days at tournaments at least.

However, it has to be said, once on the gaming table the painting did its job – the models looked far better than they would have as plain grey plastic. I will probably go back to some of them and paint up the models properly.


14 comments:

  1. Nice work.. I have to say that there are times when this style is required more than others.. and gaming has to be one of them. And as you say, you can always go back and finish them off properly if need be :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been a fan of models that hadn't had hours of painting time lavished on them, however, that is why I never seem to have a fully painted army and Bullcher never fields unpainted models. A time and a place for all things, as you say.

      Delete
  2. What game are they for?
    Its nice to have gaming minis painted, even if they are speedpainted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice Mike, I think the paint jobs look cool as is !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, too kind – I think they look awful but they serve a purpose and were never meant to be showcase models. I have to learn that not all models need to be painted to my best :)

      Delete
  4. Now that is an impressive turnaround, but I just bet you are itching to apply a highlight or two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking troops, a very nice work!!
    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil. Hope to have some of these guys painted up properly soon ;)

      Delete
  6. That's good production and work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you better than this Templar. You won't be able to live with these in this condition and expect that you will fuss with them a bit more later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't know how difficult it was for me to paint to this level Anne ;)

      But I was under extreme time pressure…

      Delete