07 November 2012

Malifaux: Speedpainting Seamus


So I gave myself a bit of a challenge – not on purpose mind you. I have an 'Intro To Malifaux' evening with my friend Chris, who is interested in having a go at miniature gaming, on Friday evening. I had bought the Seamus box set for him to use while learning the rules but needed to paint up a miniature or two in time. This meant I had to 'speedpaint Seamus'.

Let me quantify this and say… this is me. Speedpainting in my world is not taking three weeks to paint up a single figure. As much as I needed to finish the Resser master in time I didn't want him to look like crap next to the rest of my models. I didn't want Chris to think I'd just rollered some Dulux on it for effect.


I am proud to say the model you see here was painted in something between two and three hours. This was me at full speed, painting highlights while basecoat was still wet and using three palettes and no washes so that I didn't have to wait for paint to dry.

I didn't want to go too Leprechaun-like but by the same token wanted to give a nod to his assumed heritage.

I'm pretty pleased so far. There are details (eyes!!) and final highlights to add and I stuffed up the blade on his pistol, but not bad. I did wash some Devlan Mud over the whole model at the end of the evening to add a little depth. I used Vallejo paint almost exclusively, except for the wash and some P3 on the base.

Why can't I paint all my models this quickly?!!


10 comments:

  1. Very nice!

    I reckon speed painting only works on certain models. There are some you can just blitz, because you know the colours will work and what you have to paint is simple and "obvious" (apologies, I can't think of a better word). These models are rare, especially when you're choosy about what you paint. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what you mean Andy – been thinking about it a bit since I did this model. This Seamus model fits the "simple and obvious" category perfectly.

      Delete
  2. Thats still very nice and neat looking. Great work sir!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It disgusts me that your speed painting still looks better than my regular painting....
    ...I will now go choke on my paint brushes!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was expecting to spend Tues, Weds and Thurs evening painting this guy to be honest.

      I kept the number of highlights to a minimum (almost as if I was painting space marine armour) to speed up the process and that, combined with no washes which is unheard of for me, helped no end!

      Delete
  4. So you did it after all. I think he came out smashing. If I can learn to paint something in less than 4 days I'll be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like Andy mentions above, I think the model itself helped. I had already decided the colour scheme before I started and repeated colours where possible (e.g. trousers and gun stock). I have to admit I am surprised at how quick he was to paint.

      Delete
  5. And we all spent how long on the last batch of Malifaux? Great work Mike and I know exactly what Andy means about some miniatures almost painting themselves, certainly seemed that way with the cannibals that I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know… those models took so long. However, you cannot really compare the final paint job on this and the charity models. He was a fun model to paint though!

      Delete