Sunday, 1 May 2011

Malifaux Board: part 3


Malifaux Board: part 2
Malifaux Board: part 1

Things had been going pretty well with the boards this far so I shouldn't have been suprised when I had a bit of a 'mare when it came to the paint stage.

I had banked on my can of textured spray to give the boards a light coat that could be painted over. Unfortunately the nails I'd used were larger than necessary and insisted, in some cases, to sit proud of the playing surface which would not do at all. The can of textured spray made no impact on this issue and indeed failed to cover both boards with sufficient texture at all. My solution was to use some filler and a palette knife to disguise the protruding nails and add additional texture dotted around to hide the filled nails(!).


I then resorted to a tried and tested route of covering the whole board in some leftover emulsion paint (in this case "Toasted Almond") with some basing sand mixed in to add texture. This did a great job of covering both boards and unifying the filler. Only problem was there was now too much texture for a cobbled city street – would have been fantastic for a wild west environment – so I quickly sanded down the worst of it and got rid of any stones or large clumps of sand.


I then went to get some paint to start the dressing up of the boards – Craig and Rose's 1829 period colour range from B&Q "Clove Brown". Unfortunately the tester pot I'd bought wasn't really enough to cover the lighter beige underneath in one coat, leaving streaks.


Whilst I left the boards to dry I had a think and came up with the next stage of the painting plan. I took the remains of the Clove Brown paint and mixed it in a roller tray with some black artists' acrylic and a reasonable amount of water. I then coated the boards thoroughly in this dark wash to knock everything back and give me a decent basecoat from which to start painting the details. By pure chance it worked out quite well – if only I'd have thought more about it sooner I could have avoided unnecessary expense and effort.

Malifaux Board: part 4

1 comment:

  1. great results there. I managed to get hold of a few rolls of cobble stone effect vynal to save on texture painting the boards, but this is a great alternative.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...