04 April 2012

Rebuilding a City – Early Thoughts


No game last night, and nothing on the cards (Malifaux pun for you!) until the back end of the month – a visit to Bull, after Salute 2012 weekend, to face McMourning. I got to thinking more about completing my gaming board vision that I wrote about in an earlier post.


I went back to some of my earlier resources, blog images, photos of lamp posts… even episodes of Sherlock Holmes. I have my crossroad board and this gives me four large triangle shapes to fill with terrain, then additional terrain littering the streets. I have already decided that one triangle will made up from GW's Garden of Morr box set – a fantastic plastic graveyard kit – and I have my plastic GW wood to complement this and build something quite stunning and creepy.


 For the second triangle I wanted to build a warehouse of some kind. I have built a ruined warehouse/ factory building for 40k many years ago, but this time it needs to be more Victorian. It also needs to remain simple otherwise the project will become a beast and as a consequence derailed.


A quick computer-based sketch (above) illustrates what I have in mind. The triangle will be made up of a warehouse building and delivery yard. Both building and yard will have large double width entrances which will be obscured by boxes, barrels, etc. There will also be a back door opening out onto the adjacent street, for a quick exit/ pincer attack, and this too will be obscured from the main bay doors by boxes. In addition to this I hope to add a small mezzanine floor (tinted brown), accessible by ladders in the corner of the warehouse.


This is all fine and dandy but will it ever see the light of day? I have managed to book in a day to myself on Friday so should get the foundations for this project started. More to come.

4 comments:

  1. Some great ideas and really looking forward to seeing how the city develops. What about the fourth section? Maybe a plaza or steps leading to the town hall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you do manage to get it all finished and get pictures the whole way through. Malifaux's far more fun when you have exciting terrain to play through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys.

    I'm hoping I can keep this project manageable enough so that it doesn't join the pile of abandoned ideas that resides in my attic.

    Very excited about it because, as you say Mike, playing on awesome terrain just makes the whole experience so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do this, I'd really like to see what you can come up with. You're very talented and I'm sure it will be a work of art.

    ReplyDelete