06 January 2012

Flying out of the door…


I have to admit it's been quite a whirlwind so far this year in regard to my Malcontent bases. Having only re-posted them on Ebay on New Year's Day, the 30mm Bamboo are already virtually sold out and the 50mm Bamboo are half way there too.

It has been obvious for some time that with Wyrd's Kirai crew models and the Bushido miniature range expanding that the Bamboo design was quickly becoming the most popular design I have.

With this in mind I've decided to expand the range sooner than originally planned. I'm currently planning to create an alternative set of five 30mm bases to compliment the current set, as well as adding three or so 40mm bases and possibly an alternative 50mm base.

In addition to this there will shortly be a 50mm Sewer base, with 40mm ones to follow.

I have to say that it's all very exciting, but at the end of the day this is not a business it's a hobby – I don't make any real money out of it – and everything has to fit around daily life. This does mean that things take longer than I would like, but from the feedback received so far people are appreciating the attention to detail and care taken with the bases. I'll keep making them as long as people are buying them and/or I still enjoy it.

Have a good weekend!

10 comments:

  1. Awesome, Bushido is on my list of games to add for this year, so I plan to use your bases.
    Keep up the awesome bases and have fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and don't forget the riches, sorry, good luck anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work sir!

    Just a quick observation - I think your success is due to a) the quality and b) the understated nature of the bases - I think too many base companies try to cram too much on to the base, taking the focus away from the model. Yours are themed but don't distract from the model, complimenting rather than competing for the viewers attention.

    If this has been said before, my apologies, it's my day off and my brain is mush...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Dark Templar, congrats. I look forward to getting my order and I might need to grab me some 40mm bamboo bases too then!!! lol. I'll let you know when the review is about to go live.

    @Rob, if you're interested in Bushido then keep an eye out on my blog as there will be a few articles going live shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Andy

    It's quite gratifying that you noticed that. I've rarely bought resin bases for the very reason that most of them have too much detail on them and, as you say, compete with the miniature rather than compliment.

    I've tried to design my bases so that you have the option to use the same base several times in a crew and add your own detail to make them look completely different.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great and will be perfect for my Bushido minis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great bases !!

    Great Blog!!
    Im following you.

    You can follow me too !

    http://malditoduendeminiatures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bah I posted about getting these a while ago and obviously I was too slow and they have sold out again.... Still looking forward to grabbing some in your next run and I am extra glad to see you are thinking of making some larger bases to suit.... Can't wait to stick these on my Prefecture models for Bushido :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. noticed your all sold out on ebay. any chance your making more of these? i need about 20 of them!

    ReplyDelete