21 July 2017

40k: New Primaris Librarian – Part 1


I had told myself I wouldn't do it. I can't afford it, don't need it… but yesterday I found myself in possession of the new plastic Primaris Librarian kit.

It was the last one in the shop, so I felt kinda lucky that I'd managed to get hold of one. The price – £22.50 – stuck in my throat a little bit, but it's a lovely model and my librarian had done so well the other evening in our 8th Edition Intro Game that I felt this was a worthwhile investment.


The box contains two small plastic sprues, a base and transfers, plus a small booklet containing construction diagrams and the datasheet in half a dozen languages. It didn't feel like a lot for £20+


I started to build him early evening, and almost immediately hit problems. I had to stick two legs to part of a body, then once in place add a second part of the body. Not a complex task, but the flowing robe parts need to be positioned in a precise way. In addition, there wasn't much surface guide or suitably large areas in which to glue these pieces, so it took several attempts to get things vaguely correct.

At each stage of the construction I had to let the glue dry thoroughly before I could proceed as bits were moving all over the place, so delicately were they positioned.


Next I had to stick the back half of the model to the front piece that I'd constructed. Only problem here was that the two halves of the robe have to marry up exactly… which of course they didn't do very well. The outcome being that additional glue had to be used and the two halves firmly held in place for a while, resulting in fingerprints across the surface of the robe.


To add insult to injury, I then discovered that one of the pipes on my Librarian's Force Sword hadn't been cast properly!


By this time it was late evening and I decided to call it a day. I need to spend some time cleaning up the robes and the gaps before I can start adding some of the detail pieces from the kit.

This has been a pig of a build so far, and certainly not worth the £22.50 spent on it – not even close. Hopefully I'll feel better about it at the end.


The irony is that the Primaris Captain, who towers above the Librarian, took precisely 6 minutes to build and clean up with a file, ready for painting.

Roll on part 2…


13 comments:

  1. Wow. I have to be honest I had no issues with building this guy whatsoever. Inevitably the front and back half of the robes could do with a bit of filling, but I figure that the price to pay for complex models in more interesting poses.

    Unusual for a pipe like that to be miscast - email their customer services with a pic and I've no doubt they'll replace it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You paid how much for a plastic kit of one figure!? GW certainly saw you coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I know. It doesn't sit well with me at all either, lol.

      Delete
    2. Look for alternative figures to GW. Not my thing but there must be loads out there.

      Delete
    3. They used to make cheaper character models, out of fine cast. Remember how popular that stuff was? 😂

      Delete
    4. I do have alternatives, it's just because it's the latest shiny. And if I never see another Finecast model it will be too soon!

      Delete
  3. For that price you would have expected it to be made of silver or something like that. Still, looks like a wonderful model. Shame about the miscast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely falls into the premium category, just not sure it's worth what GW are charging. You can get it for £17 elsewhere online which is a little more realistic. I just wouldn't wait, so went into the shop in my lunch hour!

      Delete
  4. Ouch! Now that I'm one to talk about buying things you don't need, but definitely contact customer services with the pictures and a link to this post, at that price they really need to sort you out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent them an email and the photo this afternoon. Still waiting for a non-automated response.

      Delete
  5. £22.50!!!!!!! You have finally lost the plot. I will enjoy killing this model a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel like I've crossed a line here - all because I couldn't wait a few days and order it online a lot cheaper. The normal plastic librarian is £18 and I wasn't happy about that, but this is a different league.

      Delete