22 August 2014

40k Terrain: Mining Facility Inspiration


With game two of our Sakar campaign coming in a week, it won't be long until the big finale – Assault on the Mining Facility. We don't really have any terrain that would make a good mining building, to defend or capture, so I've been thinking about building one.


A couple of things to take into consideration. First of all, I have no time to do anything at the moment so it will be nothing fancy. I do have a tonne of foam card so I'm sure I could put it to good use, however, I don't want to be splashing out on anything – this terrain piece has to cost nothing!


I have been scouring the internet for some inspiration and I thought I would share it with you all. Some of these ideas are awesome but don't fit the bill, given the above constraints. Yet plenty of ideas to be had and directions to try. Enjoy.








I even found some Ork inspiration…






And for those following the Stompa chat on Bull's blog




'nuff said!









11 comments:

  1. Some guy does like an industrial complex out of mdf on ebay you could probably modify one the set into what you after. Sort of use plasitcard to fill in the gaps.

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wargames-Warhammer-40K-Necromunda-Scenery-Industrial-Terrain-Set-Tower-D46-/390858033772?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item5b00f44a6c

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wargames-Warhammer-40K-Necromunda-Scenery-Industrial-Terrain-Set-Tower-D47-/231249604133?pt=UK_Toys_Wargames_RL&hash=item35d78cee25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Simon. I'm not a big fan of MDF for sci-fi (prefer foamboard and textured paint) but these do look interesting.

      Delete
  2. I would add that I have all that pipework that you gifted me some time ago and that would be really appropriate for the big finale

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that could be interesting – and there must be some Necromunda bits, the plastic bits maybe as I think you said you threw out the cardboard.

      Delete
  3. Tesco's egg boxes and spray paint it is then, a few tubes from Bull's stash and away you go:

    http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=259642505

    Now let's have a closer look at the last picture; my the chap on the end is a big boy, I suppose you're going to tell me that he's in your team. I suppose the big question is - have you got one? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all on my team bar the Stompa (8.5").

      Alas the prices for the other three are in a similar ascending order) –
      £95 / £330 / £598 – so they're not really ever going to be on my team!

      Delete
    2. £598! Wow, that is a hefty price tag; not sure I'd want it to play with any nasty Orks if I paid that much!

      Delete
    3. I have the one second from the right - but its a Space Marine version. I got it second hand if you remember.

      Delete
    4. Just a thought, but can you field technology from other races? Captured and re-appropriated as it were. Slap some red paint on it and and a few Ork symbols and then you could ridiculously large models!

      Delete
    5. Yes, Kev has a Lucius Pattern Warhound (as opposed to the Mars version here) – weren't there some bits missing?
      In game terms no, but by the same token my Chaos can't take Baneblades, but I do because it fits with the army and we have limited Super Heavy options.

      Delete
  4. Plastic bottles of various sizes combined with pipping and a couple of block house buildings will give you a cheap realist looking installation.

    ReplyDelete