13 August 2012

A Tale of 3 Painters… The Guardian


As we went into the second of the four weekends available to paint, I wanted to build on the previous week's work and get The Guardian close to finished. This would leave me a similar amount of time for the Mechanical Attendant.

I've been videoing my painting sessions so far with the intention of doing a behind-the-scenes montage video after the event. Unfortunately when the camera is all set up I find I'm concentrating more on the angle of the model and my hand positioning than the actual painting itself. This has meant that the results from the videoed sessions hasn't been great and I've done my better work when the camera was absent.

Saturday was no exception. I got myself in such a state I thought I'd wrecked the painting and would have to start from scratch. However, my wife suggested that I put the camera away, and she went out for the afternoon to leave me in peace. It worked and I managed to pull the model around into something that I'm very pleased with.


I added very, very thin Blood Red across the left side of the shield, giving the upper left part more coverage than the lower. I followed a similar procedure across the larger areas of the body armour. This was washed with Baal Red and Devlan Mud, with extra washes going across the right side of the shield. I highlighted the edges of the armour with Blood Red then Blazing Orange, picking out the dents in the armour in particular. I did a handful of Yellow highlights in key places, then the whole thing was washed in Baal Red again. This may seem excessive but it has created a very rich red colour, with real depth and is the pinnacle of everything I learned painting all that Blood Angel armour a couple of years ago.

Eyes, chest and back electrical elements were painted in a blue and white mix and the base was painted with progressively highlighted Vallejo Basalt Grey, washed with a Black and Brown mix.

I'm pretty happy with where this is at right now. I have a few bits to finish – the sword needs looking at and I'd like to add some additional shadows amongst other things – but this is the last work-in-progress post about him.

Next time you'll see The Guardian is when the whole crew are reunited!

Check out Andy's latest update here! 
Check out Michael's Latest post here!


++++++++++

As much as we are enjoying this project, it is for charity. If you enjoy reading about our progress please donate towards our final total – even if it's only £1 – via the donate button at the top of the page or on the Cancer Research UK website directly.

What's A Tale of 3 Painters all about?

Follow Andy's progress here
Follow Michael's progress here
Follow Mike's progress here

Thanks for your support!

++++++++++

12 comments:

  1. Fantastic job! Loving the red and the blue lights, and everything ties in nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually used the 'wrong' blue paint – had intended to use a different colour – but it worked out much better. It does work well with the red armour. Very pleased :)

      Delete
  2. Very nice so far. liking the Light effects you've used. the blending in on the shield is great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I am pleased with the shield – came out rather well in the end.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness that is a bit good! Loving the colour; the shading is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's probably one of my better efforts with the shading and highlighting. I'm hoping that I've turned a corner here and there will be an all round improvement to my painting. Perseverance is the lesson learned here :)

      Delete
  4. You boys are doing some nice painting and it's inspiring to watch. Makes us all want to be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm being rather inspired myself. As much as this was never meant to be a painting competition, the quality of my fellow conspirators does push you to try your best – much like your recent challenge vs Ray (which was your best piece by far!).

      Delete
  5. Your painting style is impressively good mate, loving the challenge among the three of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It has been a lot of fun so far and I'm very much looking forward to seeing all six models back together again.

      Delete
  6. Love what you have done here - the blue really draws you in and gives life to the model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get to see him in person in a couple of weeks!

      Delete