Wednesday, 23 January 2013

Nurgle Heldrake – part 3


Nurgle Heldrake - part 2

Finally got an undercoat and some colour on this guy as he's been sitting in a state of grey for far too long.

I started off with a Vallejo Burnt Umber basecoat on pretty much everything. I have to admit that this was quite thin (embarrassingly due to being a little short on paint) so was quite patchy and almost absent from the deepest recesses. Having restocked the paint supplies yesterday I gave the model a coat of Vallejo English Uniform (which is the basis of my Plague Marine models) making sure is was quite solid but leaving brown in the recesses. Once this was dry I dug out my bit of sponge and applied a second, rather heavy coat of the English Uniform which caught all the open areas of the model. It also adds a texture to the surface which gave the Dremel'ed parts a more organic feel.



With each coat of sponged paint still wet I added more and more Vallejo Ochre to the palette which gave progressively lighter highlights. This is now complete at the basic level. I need to go in and start adding some detail which is when the model really comes to life. This will be time consuming so progress will be slow but, even if the Heldrake doesn't make the final list to face the DA next month, it will have been worthwhile.



As you can see from the image above (hopefully my Heldrake won't spend much time in this position on the gaming table!), I didn't go all out on the highlights underneath. I like the idea of the underneath being a lot darker. I intend to add some very bright elements here to represent power cells glowing. Not sure I'll go full OSL but we'll see how it goes.

To be continued…




14 comments:

  1. That's a lovely looking model. Is it a resin cast or ordinary plastic?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just the standard plastic kit that was hacked to pieces with a Dremel then covered in greenstuff!

      Delete
  2. Fantastic looking.. really coming together indeed. Can't wait to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this first stage was the easy bit of the painting. I need to starting making some colour decisions now and crack on with the details!

      Delete
  3. Excellent! :-)
    I really like the Nurgle feel the model has now...if I wasnt terrified of messing up the model, I would think about doing something similar for my CSM allies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was exactly the same Mag – after I'd hacked it to pieces I felt even worse, but the greenstuff made it all better!

      Be brave!

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to more continued.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should have the next instalment early next week (fingers crossed).

      Delete
  5. You've done a fab job there sir. Really coming along nicely. Will be a real centre piece!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The title of "centre piece" is being reserved for my Nurgle Land Raider ;)

      Delete
  6. Wow, those first layers of paint have really lifted the whole thing and the added extras now look perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's looking a lot more organic than before so I'm nervous about adding back the metal.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...