20 September 2017

Imperial Assault – I Blame Mr Awdry!


It's been a few weeks since the last game of 40k and a new suitor has crept into view.

Imperial Assault by FFG has been on my radar since the day it was first announced 3+ years ago. I had been enamoured with X-Wing for a while so when I heard they were doing character miniatures I was over the moon ("that's no moon, it's a space station!"). I had collected lots of WotC Star Wars miniatures many years ago, and lost them (long story), so this was perfect. However, knowing it would be a complete money sink and unsure how much I would actually play the game (I don't get to play X-Wing much) I somehow managed to stay clear.

Then our good friend Mr Awdry announced that he had "accidentally" acquired Imperial Assault – not only that but the photos displayed on his website betrayed the fact that he had bought at least a couple of expansions and a host of boosters as well! He told me about how wonderful the models were and how fantastic the game was. Zombicide meets Star Wars – two of my favourite things in one game.

Mr Awdry even sent me photos of the amazing miniatures

I was starting to wobble in my hardline stance against a purchase. Then I made a fatal mistake… I downloaded the rules to read. Then I went onto the Chaos Cards website (our local store) and saw everything Imperial Assault related was cheaper there than anywhere else. I couldn't help myself. My finger slipped and before I knew it I had ordered some character boosters.


With the core box game due to arrive in the next 48 hours I picked up aforementioned boosters from the post office today and paraded them about the office desk, basking in their Star Wars goodness.

But you see it doesn't stop there – oh no!

Having just resigned myself to a new board game in the cupboard, with plenty of expansions and boosters to collect, I discovered the hype about a new game due early next year…


Star Wars: Legion is a miniature wargame, akin to 40k by what I am reading. It would appear that this is the miniatures game I have been looking for my entire life!! If I am able to field an army of Imperials with a few bounty hunters and Sith thrown in for good measure I think I may have died and gone to heaven. Rules are due online prior to release, but having seen some demos on YouTube there would appear to be a similarity with X-Wing.

That'll do me – heaven awaits!


10 comments:

  1. lol your going to need a bigger garage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Something is going to have to give I think.

      Delete
    2. So did you actually buy? The core game obviously but boosters... Are they individual models?

      Delete
    3. Had a look online. I see how it works now. It looks to be huge with expansions and everything. Maybe this is what we should be playing at the end of the month?

      Delete
    4. The campaign play basically works where one player has heroes (like zombicide) but they're unknown characters and these come in the box sets and expansions – you can sometimes use the well known characters as allies for specific missions (available as individual booster packs). The other player has the Imperials, who are a little more generic and don't gain xp, etc.

      The cool thing is that there are extra missions and map layouts in every booster pack that relate to the character you bought.

      In addition you can play skirmish battles (which I really like the idea of) where you pick a side, create an army list with points and fight!

      Delete
    5. All the rules for campaign and skirmish are available online.

      Delete
  2. Whoops! :)
    I have put aside the Campaign stuff and been playing a 'rules lite' version of the Skirmish game solo. I have left the command deck out for the time being, but what you have is a fiercely competitive, fun, fast game that lasts approx.. 30-40 minutes! I just love the miniatures and the inclusion of the expanded universe characters allows a bit of depth to the heroes particularly. Just try stopping yourself making blaster noises and lightsabre swooshes when you play!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving some of the mechanics (as they read in the manual at least). The coloured dice representing different focuses, with icons and numbers. Then flip the character card when defeated for a 'wounded' version of the character. Love it.

      Been reading up on skirmish tactics. It's all about round 2 I believe!

      Delete
    2. Definitely about round 2! Once the opposing forces are in sight of each other all bets are off, especially give the small tile layout. Brutal fun! :)

      Delete
  3. I was interested in Ia as well. Shame the Legions stuff is a different scale. Its made me dither over which to go for now.

    7TV also does freerules for Star Wars mini's its a cracking ruleset as well.

    ReplyDelete