05 February 2016

Black Plague Zombies…!


It seems an age since we pledged for the Medieval version of Zombicide on Kickstarter. It's all due to arrive in the summer, but we did receive the starter box game just before Christmas. Needless to say I haven't done much more than open the lid and have a look at the models – another game gathering dust on the shelf.


Last night my friend Chris came round for our semi-regular game night. When mulling over which game to play my mind suddenly leaped back to the aforementioned Zombicide: Black Plague – perfect for both of us.

We were limited with time so we stuck to the intro mission whilst we acclimatised to the revised rules. It definitely feels like v2 of Zombicide, with lots of extra and tweaked rules that make things that little bit better. Even the intro game was more interesting.


Our first attempt had us constantly flipping Fatties during the zombie's go, not great when you don't have a strong enough weapon! I managed to find an enormous hammer that would do the business and it didn't take long to level up a couple of times. I ended the first intro game on 30 kills!!

Our second go at the intro game had Chris take the lead with the funky weapons, racing to his first level up before I had scored a single kill. This time the Fatties were in short supply (need to shuffle the deck better!) so we positively sailed through, though it helped that we knew what we were doing this time.

Loving this game and I have to say I think it's a definite improvement over the original. Everything about it just seems stepped up a level, from the command consoles to the new skills. We haven't even go to the whole Necromancer or Abomination bits yet.

Looking forward to a bigger game!


9 comments:

  1. Cool, glad you gave it a try. That puts you ahead of me. I do love the box and the way everything is protected by layers of plastic. I have added a bit more paint to the main models but still along way to go. I have the Guild Ball itch at the moment though and as I have been a bit busy on the work front, it has not been recently scratched.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a go at the first mission proper and oh my goodness! Leveled up really quickly as stupidly tried to run it with only two characters. Hugely enjoyable and Dragon Fire is just awesome! Think Molotov that you can set as a trap and lure big nasties into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it and were only playing the intro game on two tiles (plus a vault) – how cool is the vault loot!?!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy the game and am looking forward to the rest of the stuff from the Kickstarter.
    Played a couple of games with different people and we are currently stuck at scenario 3 which sees us failing in different ways... Ah, well, there will be another chance soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, now that sounds like a challenge! We're going to get stuck into the scenarios proper on our next game evening in a few weeks.

      Delete
  4. My buddy and I just finished the last two missions, kinda. The second to last mission "hellhole" could take five hours, it's all the luck of the draw, after two hours it was obvious, so we gave up and moved on to final mission. I have all of my survivors painted.

    Don't know about you, but I love the new dashboards and I will never go back to the cards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely – no going back to the old cards!

      Delete