29 January 2015

Let There Be Paint…



I wasn't sure what it was going to take to get me back painting again. Life with a little one is all consuming – something I wasn't expecting fully – no time for hobbies at home. The enthusiasm has been there just not the time. So, I've taken a few of my paints and a couple of brushes to work.

For half an hour in the morning and half an hour at lunchtime I get to put paint on metal in a very crude fashion due to the poor lighting. Not sure how viable this is long term – I know I won't be happy with final results – but at least there are models being painted, which has always been the problem.


First in the queue on the painting table was the big man himself… Batman.

After the usual spray with a GW can, I filled in the gaps with Army Painter Matt Black (such an awesome paint). I then added some Vallejo Basalt Grey to the mix and gave various body parts a basecoat, highlighting up to pure Basalt Grey.


I don't have a lot of blue paints in my collection, bizarrely, which isn't very helpful when painting the caped crusader. Last night I did manage to find an old GW Necron Abyss foundation paint and that has made a great starting point for the cape in question. Then I added a bit of Fenris Grey (more old school paints) to the mix and got some highlights down.


I'm dreading to see the model under my painting lamp at home but I am very excited about painting again. I may have to celebrate by buying some new brushes this weekend!

I know it's going to take a while get back up to speed with the painting but if I can do a little every day then it shouldn't be long before the miniatures are starting to look the business.


8 comments:

  1. The shading looks great in the pics Mike.

    To improve your lighting at work, you could buy a cheap desk lamp and fit it with a suitable daylight bulb. Or buy a more expensive daylight lamp if you prefer ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely missing my daylight lamp from home!

      Delete
  2. I paint at work, it's amazing how much you can get done!

    If the light bothers you, I have a friend who goes and sits in his car to paint and uses daylight.

    I feel your pain over time for hobbies at home - it does get better though once they start having a regular bedtime routine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paint in the car eh? I may have to try that.
      I was thinking I may just stay up after 'bedtime' and paint until the midnight feed, rather than going to bed for the extra hour.

      Delete
  3. It is so good to see you painting again and it's all looking pretty positive to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all rather rough round the edges but I'm hoping this is a first step back into the ring ;)

      Delete
  4. Nice to some paint on the big man. Good for you with the creative solution when it comes to location. Whatever works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm getting quite desperate to paint now. The light isn't good at work but at least they're no longer bare metal. Should have some more photos soon.

      Delete