Thursday, 29 August 2013

Of Celts and X-Wings…


The last week has been something of a whirlwind.

Last Saturday I braved the increasingly poor weather to visit Michael Awdry. It was this time last year that Michael and myself, together with Andy Walker, were painting Malifaux models for the Tale of 3 Painters project. I can't believe it's taken me a year to go back to Pevensey.

The plan was to start with an introduction to The Dark Crucible. Michael had already seen an earlier copy of the rules, but things had changed a lot since then. I had hastily put some paint on plastic the night before – my Celts (above) had been looking extremely grey and shiny which would not do when visiting such a prolific painter.

We took advantage of Michael's recently completed gaming table, which I have to say made a world of difference to the atmosphere of the game. Despite never (technically) having played a wargame before, Michael's Celt warband came out victors against my Romans – Jimmy and Hamish hacking 'Mad' Marcus to pieces after he had single-handedly downed two of their Celtic brothers. At least he went out in a blaze of glory – a feat he duplicated exactly in another game last night… he's starting to get a reputation.

After a short break for lunch we moved on to X-Wing, which had peaked Michael's interest some time ago and I had been promising to bring down. In our opening demo game the twin TIE Fighter combo took good old Luke to pieces – a harsh lesson indeed. Next game, with reinforcements on either side, Luke almost made a very early exit, being stripped of shields and reduced to a solitary hull point in a single turn. Alas (for the Empire) that was as close as I got to killing not only only Luke, but the A-Wing and Y-Wing too. Even Darth Vader didn't survive the battle. Revenge was sweet and Michael was truly addicted.

Great afternoon's gaming, great host. I've been so inspired by Michael's gaming board that I am in the process of gather the materials to make my own. There will of course be detailed coverage of its construction, so stay tuned for that!

6 comments:

  1. X wing is a great pick up and play game, I have enjoyed some games with mates and all have been fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fundamentally it – it's a fun pick up and play game. Genius.

      Delete
  2. great sounding day of gaming, and well done for getting Michael gaming finally
    Peace James

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was a great day – same about the journey home in the torrential rain!

      Delete
  3. Ah my boys; good to see them again! I can't thank you enough for a great day although I haven't stopped tinkering with lists for a Celt war band and the less said about the amount of Star Wars merchandise winging its way to Awdry Towers the better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we need to arrange a day's gaming at Bull's again, and we can get lots of games in!
      (He loves X-Wing too).

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...