Friday, 21 September 2012

San Francisco Bound!


This is the first of a handful of scheduled blog posts for the next couple of weeks.

I'm not in Blighty anymore. In fact I'm quite a way from home – I'm in San Francisco!!

I turn 40 in just over a week and, rather than do surprise parties or dinner with family, my wife and I decided to get away and go somewhere we've not been before. After a few days in San Fran I will spend my actual birthday in Yosemite National Park with the bears, chipmunks and whatever other wildlife I can find.


I get to drive on the wrong side of the road at slow speed in an automatic car, eat my own body weight in food every day, visit a notorious maximum security prison island, then spend a few days amongst nature walking it all off!

I'm also taking a break from all forms of technology – or at least as much as is possible these days. I'm surrounded by tech on a day to basis and I'm sure it's frying my brain. I'll survive a few days without my iPad and the internet.

So, what can you look forward to while I'm away?


I was swept up by the release of the Dark Vengeance box set and the lovely models so there may be a post or two about that. I also have an overdue post pointing you towards some awesome painting and modelling tutorials that were brought to my attention recently. Beyond that who knows.

7 comments:

  1. Have a nice time on holiday and say hello to Yogi and booboo for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a fabulous time Mike, sounds just amazing. Looking forward to hearing all about it on your return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, what can I say but
    "be sure to wear some flowers in your hair" because "You're gonna meet some gentle people there"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PMSL :P

      Yeah hope you have a great time in San Fran buddy, although from my experience it was less flowers in hair and more latex cat suits... but I digress. I hope you have a great birthday!

      Delete
  4. Have a great trip, SF is a fun town. if you want to see true Bay Area madness, try and catch a Giants game.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When we used to live out there the places we would take visitors where:

    Alcatraz
    China Town
    North Beach
    Ghirardelli Chocolate Factory
    Marin Headlands (Park on North Side of Golden Gate Bridge)
    Fitzgerald Marine Reserve (Down in half moon bay for great tidal pools but must plan trip based on tides)
    Sonoma Wine Country area

    Yosemite is amazing. We have been maybe 8-10 times. You could spend an entire trip there. For single day trips we would take people up to glacier point then down into the yosemite valley for either short walks while driving around or some long hikes. The Yosemite Falls hike is cool but has serious elevation change as you are hiking from the bottom to top of the two stage waterfall. This is multi hour hike. Hetch Hetchy reservoir is also an interesting spot away from the main area. Almost makes you feel like you are in a different park. My Tioga Pass drive is also very lovely and away from the main congested area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My wife says to get the head phone tour on alcatraz.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...